Overtone singing show on Yale Radio

Audio, Video, Books, CD Reviews, announcements, discussion, critique etc. (Email subscription coming)

Postby Krul Kradl » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:31 am

a Yale undergrad and I are planning to have a radio show on Yale radio featuring throat and overtone singing from around the world. I'm creating the playlist. let's discuss what should be on it!
Krul Kradl

Postby nagelschip » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:42 am

Do you want a list of specific songs? Or albums? Or just a list of artists??

Sounds like a great idea though [of course], he he. ;-)
nagelschip

Postby Krul Kradl » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:38 pm

whatever suggestions you have. :) the Tuvan area I have covered probably, but we can discuss here a list of songs the would be representative also in quality and also didactically/variety. I need suggestions re: Mogolian, Altai, Kalmyk and other overtone singing.
Krul Kradl

Postby nagelschip » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:08 pm

I can give you a list of my favourite Mongolian music.

Hosoo - Hoomijn Domog
Höömijn Domog

Hosoo & Transmongolia - Gesang Des Himmels
Dorvon Nastai Haliun
Salhinii Hee
Tatlagiin Holboo
Ekeldeg

Tserendavaa - Chandman' Song
Altai Magtaal
Geriin Magtaal
Hosmoljin Khöömii
Khöömii
Ovgön Shuvuu
Tooroi Bandi / Bayan Khairkhan
Khümüün Törölkhtön

White Moon - Tsagaan Sar
Hotgoidiin Unaga
Altain Magtaal

Various - Jargalant Altai
Sundui - Dorvon Nastai Xaliun
Nanjid Sengedorj - Altain Magtaal
Yanjiv Tsogbaatar - Manduul Xaany Magtaal
Ganbold - Yunden Googoo
Tserendavaa - Önchin Tsagaan Botgo

Egschiglen - Zazal
Elstiin Ganga
Uils Dundaa Sain
Manduhai
Yamaanii Bodog

Ganzorig Nergui
Mongol Naadam
[actually found that song here; http://www.akt.art.pl/gendos%20mp3%20i%20video.html]

Ensemble Khan Bogd - Magtaal - Höömij - Vol. II
Höömijiin Khelkee Ayalguu
Setgemj
Höömijn Törluud
Khan Bogd Magtaal

Ensemble Tumbash - Höömij - Vol. II
Manduul
Baavai Chinghis
Dorvon Tsagiin Tal - Siilen Boor
Shargyin Shargyin Joroo
nagelschip

Postby mcrofoot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:22 pm

But Nagelschip, where can we acquire these wonderful recordings???  Desperate in New Mexico, Michael

nagelschip wrote:

I can give you a list of my favourite Mongolian music.

Hosoo - Hoomijn Domog
Höömijn Domog

Hosoo & Transmongolia - Gesang Des Himmels
Dorvon Nastai Haliun
Salhinii Hee
Tatlagiin Holboo
Ekeldeg

Tserendavaa - Chandman' Song
Altai Magtaal
Geriin Magtaal
Hosmoljin Khöömii
Khöömii
Ovgön Shuvuu
Tooroi Bandi / Bayan Khairkhan
Khümüün Törölkhtön

White Moon - Tsagaan Sar
Hotgoidiin Unaga
Altain Magtaal

Various - Jargalant Altai
Sundui - Dorvon Nastai Xaliun
Nanjid Sengedorj - Altain Magtaal
Yanjiv Tsogbaatar - Manduul Xaany Magtaal
Ganbold - Yunden Googoo
Tserendavaa - Önchin Tsagaan Botgo

Egschiglen - Zazal
Elstiin Ganga
Uils Dundaa Sain
Manduhai
Yamaanii Bodog
Ganzorig Nergui
Mongol Naadam

Ensemble Khan Bogd - Magtaal - Höömij - Vol. II
Höömijiin Khelkee Ayalguu
Setgemj
Höömijn Törluud
Khan Bogd Magtaal

Ensemble Tumbash - Höömij - Vol. II
Manduul
Baavai Chinghis
Dorvon Tsagiin Tal - Siilen Boor
Shargyin Shargyin Joroo

View Topic Here: http://Khoomei.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4240#4240
(sent via Mail2Forum)

(sent via Mail2Forum)
mcrofoot

Postby nagelschip » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Hello Michael,

I got the Hosoo albums from his website, http://www.hosoo.de.
Tserendavaa I got from Michael Ormiston. Which is my big favourite!
Jargalant Altai from Tuva Trader.
Egschiglen from Amazon.
Khan Bogd and Tumbash from Albi, http://www.face-music.ch.

And I have some used CD's like White Moon, which I just got by fortunate accident. There's actually quite a lot Mongolian music to buy on the internet, Michael. Just not always easy to find.
nagelschip

Postby mcrofoot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks so much Nagelschip!  I am especially excited by the Altai throat singing and the traditions of singing mountain and river praise songs and the days-long epic songs, which were a mixture of spoken word, poetry, normal singing and throat singing.  I have been gathering literature on Mongolian throat singing and have even asked Michael Ormiston by email if he would contribute to a well orchestrated Mongolian music discussion thread on this here khoomei forum, to which he kindly agreed.  Nagleschip, could you and me and maybe California Stacey 'hjernespiser' communicte by email to develop an information rich begining to a Mongolian music thread here on the khoomei forum?  Whom else would be good to include from the get-go?  Michael in New Mexico

I will copy this to hjernespiser...

nagelschip wrote:

Hello Michael,

I got the Hosoo albums from his website, http://www.hosoo.de.
Tserendavaa I got from Michael Ormiston. Which is my big favourite!
Jargalant Altai from Tuva Trader.
Egschiglen from Amazon.
Khan Bogd and Tumbash from Albi, www.face-music.ch.

And I have some used CD's like White Moon, which I just got by fortunate accident. There's actually quite a lot Mongolian music to buy on the internet, Michael. Just not always easy to find.

View Topic Here: http://Khoomei.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4244#4244
(sent via Mail2Forum)

(sent via Mail2Forum)
mcrofoot

Re: Overtone singing show on Yale Radio

Postby hjernespiser » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

mcrofoot wrote:Nagleschip, could you and me and maybe California Stacey 'hjernespiser' communicte by email to develop an information rich begining to a Mongolian music thread here on the khoomei forum?

What did you have in mind? Would the "What about the Mongolians?" thread in the Khoomei forum not suffice or do you think we should start a new thread?
hjernespiser

Postby hjernespiser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:15 pm

For Mongolian, there's also "Mongolian Folk Music", from Hungaroton and collected by Lajos Vargyas and "Instrumental & Vocal Music from Buryatia" by Uragsha. Both are available thru amazon.com.

For Altai music, Sarymai's stuff on Pure Nature Music is good. He used to be in a group called Aiaiym which split up unfortunately. PNM has a single CD by them (you'd probably have to contact Sasha to ask if he's got any copies left). It has examples of female kai singing on it. One of my favorite songs by Sarymai isn't on this album though. It is called Yellow Leaves (Sary Bürler). It only seems available on the PNM sampler "Central Asian Tales".

Regarding Kalmyk music, I only know of Okna Tsagaan Zam's music.
hjernespiser

Postby Krul Kradl » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:27 pm

I only have an hour available (including some explanation by me), and the show is about throat singing, not Mongolian music in general. so only songs with throat singing will work (so songs from Buryatia won't qualify as far as I know). I'm focusing mostly on Tuva, so I can probably fit 3 Mongolian examples. a definite will be Tserendavaa's Altai Magtaal. Nagelchip, can you suggest the top songs (with throat singing) from your list. thanks!
for Kalmyk I'll go with Khoomei by Okna Tsagaan Zam. and for Altai I'd like more suggestions (I'll look into Sarymai). I might put something Sabjilar for the Khakas Khai. any Tibetan suggestions?
now that I know I have only an hour, I probably won't do the african throat singing at all. I'd like to have one western piece that is inspired by central asian throat singing (in addition to a piece by myself). suggestions.
Krul Kradl

Postby hjernespiser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 pm

The Uragsha CD has throatsinging on it... Hrm. I remember reading somehwere that they have recreated their tradition of throatsinging from Mongolia. Battuvshin is a Mongolian living in Buryatia and appears with Uragsha, but one of the Buryat members does a lot of the throatsinging. *shrug* It really isn't much different from Okna Tsagaan Zam recreating Kalmyk throatsinging from the Tuvans.

Sarymai also performs with the state group AltaiKAI, but I'm not familiar with any of their CDs. If I recall right there's some Altai female kai off the Levin book "Where Rivers and Mountains Sing".

I'm recalling now an interesting piece of Mongolian throatsinging from "The Secret Museum of Mankind: Central Asia" CD. It is called "Mon-Gu Tuul" and is styled as a "xhoomeij duet". One guy sings a bass line in something like karkhiraa and the other sings in normal voice and falsetto. Haven't heard any other sort of singing like it.

For Sabjilar I like Khorta Palykh (Taiga Song) and Oryglar (Horse Thieves). Sabjilar basically broke up. Evgenii put out a CD with his daughter that is rather introspective. I wrote a review of it somewhere around here. It is available from Tuva Trader.

I think for Tibetan you're only going to find long pieces of sutra recitals :)

If you want to have something a little beyond using overtones to produce the melody of the song, there's some example of Uzbek or Kazakh bakshi singing using a khorekteer-like voice from Levin's "Hundred Thousand Fools of God" book.
hjernespiser

Postby nagelschip » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:45 pm

Krul Kradl wrote: I'm focusing mostly on Tuva, so I can probably fit 3 Mongolian examples. a definite will be Tserendavaa's Altai Magtaal. Nagelchip, can you suggest the top songs (with throat singing) from your list. thanks!

Yes I would either play Tserendavaa's Geriin Magtaal [4:01] or Altai Magtaal. [2:52]
Also Onchin Tsagaan Botgo [3:40] is one of my favourite [Tserendavaa] songs.

Hosoo's Dorvon Nastai Haliun [4:13] is a really amazing version of this classical tune.

Manduul [6:17] by the Tumbash ensemble is a great song.
But I guess I would prefer Shargyin Shargyin Joroo [3:37] by Tumbash, beautiful song.

Setgemj [2:31] by the Khan Bogd ensemble is also a really interesting song. Best use of the Dendeldar style I've heard. :-)
Last edited by nagelschip on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
nagelschip

Postby mcrofoot » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:12 am

Thanks hjernspiser, for this.  It really helps us newbies to find stuff.  Michael

hjernespiser wrote:

For Mongolian, there's also "Mongolian Folk Music", from Hungaroton and collected by Lajos Vargyas and "Instrumental & Vocal Music from Buryatia" by Uragsha. Both are available thru amazon.com.

For Altai music, Sarymai's stuff on Pure Nature Music is good. He used to be in a group called Aiaiym which split up unfortunately. PNM has a single CD by them (you'd probably have to contact Sasha to ask if he's got any copies left). It has examples of female kai singing on it. One of my favorite songs by Sarymai isn't on this album though. It is called Yellow Leaves (Sary Bürler). It only seems available on the PNM sampler "Central Asian Tales".

Regarding Kalmyk music, I only know of Okna Tsagaan Zam's music.

View Topic Here: http://Khoomei.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4268#4268
(sent via Mail2Forum)

(sent via Mail2Forum)
mcrofoot

Postby Krul Kradl » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:52 pm

thanks for the info stacey and Nagelschip.
Krul Kradl

Return to Media News And Reviews