Alzin introduces himself and his singing

Post here on Central Asian throat-singing, all styles, including Mongolian, Altai, Khakassian, Tibetan chant, etc. (Email subscription coming)

Re: Alzin introduces himself and his singing

Postby Synapse309 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 am

Yes, nice. I finally checked it out.

Something just "clicked" there, didn't it? ;)
"well, at least you don't have to listen to me..."

DISCLAIMER:
I am not a pro and don't know crap. Any advice given is my sole opinion and must not be taken seriously. Doing so may result in injury, shame or death from boredom.
Synapse309

Postby Alzin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 am

Synapse309 wrote:Yes, nice. I finally checked it out.

Something just "clicked" there, didn't it? ;)

;)
Yes, sort of. I can go into a smoother kargyraa now with shorter time of warming up. This morning, my first attempt turned out very smooth, what was cool and surprising, because normally, I sound like the classical dying camel in the morning. (One should record a song... "Dying camels in the morning" Cool title. :lol: )
Now I'm working on the Xorekteer under the Kargyraa, make it more powerful, and separate it from the ventricular folds.
My music: http://www.youtube.com/therealjes
Alzin

Postby Alzin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 am

Ok, I just cut some of my latest recordings, and here is my latest Xorekteer-attempt. I hope I'm closer.
Alzin

Postby Synapse309 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Overtones are getting better, constriction seems a little more steady, but not quite there yet. You are making progress. :)

DISCLAIMER:
I am not a pro and don't know crap. Any advice given is my sole opinion and must not be taken seriously. Doing so may result in injury, shame or death from boredom.
Synapse309

Postby Alzin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Synapse309 wrote:Overtones are getting better, constriction seems a little more steady, but not quite there yet. You are making progress. :)

Cool. :) Steadiness of constriction is something that takes time, the muscles just noticed I want them to do something...
Alzin

Postby Synapse309 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:10 am

I understand what you're saying. My muscles have been cooperating for a while now, but I noticed since you joined the rest of my throat is "playing along". I mean that the soft tissues are vibrating along when conditions are right sometimes, and it makes for a nice sensation while singing. Not sure how it sounds yet, haven't caught up still.

Glad you're coming along... :D

DISCLAIMER:
Synapse309

Postby Alzin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 am

Synapse309 wrote:I understand what you're saying. My muscles have been cooperating for a while now, but I noticed since you joined the rest of my throat is "playing along". I mean that the soft tissues are vibrating along when conditions are right sometimes, and it makes for a nice sensation while singing. Not sure how it sounds yet, haven't caught up still.

Glad you're coming along... :D

Me too. ;)
I had the problem that some things in my throat were randomly vibrating when I did kargyraa. It sounded all muddy. But I'm getting closer to the point where I can use only part of my ventricular folds and move the constriction up and down on them. At least that's what it feels like, I don't know if that's what I'm doing, but I can achieve different sounds. Maybe that's how different kargyraa-styles are sung. I just had/have a hard time getting under control where I constrict and where not. But it all gets clearer and clearer now. :)
Alzin

Postby Synapse309 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

ibeam was talking about "moving the kargyraa" up and down the throat. I don't quite get that. I can change the constriction in various ways, but none feel like I am "moving" it. This kind of stuff is why I would love to attend a workshop and swap ideas with others live, without having to describe them in written language.

DISCLAIMER:
Synapse309

Postby Alzin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Maybe it isn't like that, maybe I just use different ways to constrict, I don't know... it's quite difficult to "move it" or "use a different way", because I don't have much control yet...
Alzin

Postby Synapse309 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Ya, I'm learning along with you here, buddy. Like I always say, I can never do the same exact sound twice, and I believe that's because I don't have the control quite down.

Anyways, I'm far from done learning and practicing, and needed to revisit my Xorekteer.

DISCLAIMER:
Synapse309

Postby Alzin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:16 am

Synapse309 wrote:Anyways, I'm far from done learning and practicing, and needed to revisit my Xorekteer.

I need to visit my Xorekteer, but I don't know where it lives...
Alzin

Postby Alzin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:55 am

I might be getting closer... It was mentioned on this forum that one should focus on the fundamental, not on the overtones. Sounded logical to me, so that's what I did. But I'm starting to think that I did it in a wrong way... I'm not sure yet, but I think, I changed my voice, while I should actually sing with my normal voice, but with constriction above it which makes the voice sound different. It's difficult to explain, and I don't have any samples yet, maybe I can create some...
Alzin

Postby wolfgangsaus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Alzin wrote:
Synapse309 wrote:Yes, it's western style. But Wolfgang Saus writes in his book that laryngoscopy has proven throat-constriction similar to Sygyt in his throat, too, when singing overtone... But still, I get the difference.

That seems to be a misinterpretation. The laryngeal constriction is the key difference between Western and Asian style. Laryngoscopic examination showed only slight narrowing of my larynx in western overtone style, comparable to classical singing, as opposed to sygyt that shows an extreme constriction.
wolfgangsaus

Postby Alzin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

wolfgangsaus wrote:
Alzin wrote:
Synapse309 wrote:Yes, it's western style. But Wolfgang Saus writes in his book that laryngoscopy has proven throat-constriction similar to Sygyt in his throat, too, when singing overtone... But still, I get the difference.

That seems to be a misinterpretation. The laryngeal constriction is the key difference between Western and Asian style. Laryngoscopic examination showed only slight narrowing of my larynx in western overtone style, comparable to classical singing, as opposed to sygyt that shows an extreme constriction.

So some sort of very losely Sygyt constriction?
Alzin

Postby Synapse309 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm

It's why I figured that I had nailed Sygyt long before I actually did, because I had not yet learned how to constrict "extremely", only loosely, resulting in clear, piercing overtones, but with a prominent fundamental drone, also, the overtones are a little bit more difficult to hit "cleanly".

Meanwhile, I have figured out that I can sing high pitched overtones over a drone that's almost not constricted at all, almost completely clamped shut, and somewhere in between, attenuating the drone more, but not "snaring" or "buzzing" on the overtones, like in pure Sygyt.

All of these are fun and nice. :mrgreen:

DISCLAIMER:
Synapse309

Previous

Return to Khoomei